With the warm summer weather upon us are your windows and doors ready to keep the cool air in? Old, failing or improperly installed windows and doors can allow air to enter and escape your home, which will have an impact on your home’s energy efficiency. To ensure your windows and doors are ready to beat the summer heat, here are some window and door inspection tips.
- Check your window’s caulking/ weather stripping: Check for any pieces that may have chipped or peeled off. If you find cracks or peeling caulk, your window will require new caulking to prevent air from getting in or escaping.
- Operate your windows: Open and close your windows to make sure they are operating properly. When you close & lock the window check to make sure that there are not any gaps where air could enter and escape.
- Check for seal failure: To test your windows for leaks close your windows and doors and shut off the ceiling fans and the HVAC system. Then take a lighter or light a candle and run it around the frame of the window. If the flame or smoke pulls towards you that is a sign of an air leak. Leaks are common in windows older than 15 years. If your windows are experiencing leaks and are older than 15 years it is time to consider replacing them.
- Check your door’s threshold and weather stripping: If these are old and worn they could be contributing to air infiltration or water leaks. If you notice your doors threshold or weather stripping is cracked, chipped or worn you will need to have those replaced to prevent water and air leaks from occurring.
- Look over the frame: Over time old wooden frames can warp, rot or decay which will decrease the integrity of the door and it’s energy efficiency. If you notice any rot or decay on the door, it is best to consider replacing the door with a more durable option such as steel or fiberglass.
- Feel for drafts: The warm summers and cold winters can expand and contract your door. This can contribute to air infiltration which will increase your home’s heating and cooling costs. A trick to test for drafts is to light a candle or lighter and run it around the frame of the door. If the flame flickers towards you this indicates an air leak.
Leave the warm summer air outside by replacing your windows and doors with New York Sash! Our windows and doors will make your home more energy efficient and more comfortable for you and your family. To see how our windows and doors can help your home, schedule a free price quote or call us at 315-624-7344.