What better way to embrace spring that to get all muddy for a good cause? The 3rd annual Daniel Barden Mudfest is coming up on April 25th at MKJ Farm in Deansboro, NY.
What exactly is Mudfest? A 5K adventure run along hills and valleys with more than 900 feet of elevation change. Plus tons of crazy obstacles, both natural and manmade. Personally, the hardest and yet most rewarding physical challenge I’ve ever done.
Plus, it ends with a huge party! Live music with four bands, food, drinks and tons of mud.
Mudfest started as a celebration of the life of Daniel Barden, one of the first graders killed at the Sandy Hook Shooting in 2012. This year, 50% of the proceeds are going towards 16 scholarships for 8th graders to participate in the Adirondack Odyssey Program. These 8th graders also get to choose a charity that will get the other 50% of Mudfest proceeds.
- Why do it? It’s a charity. It’s a challenge. Stop complaining about the mud outside and roll around in it. Get outside, get physical, and finish with a party!
- Do I need to be able to run a 5k? Not really. It’s not a regular race. It’s loaded with obstacles, and there’s plenty of walking in between.
- What if I can’t do an obstacle / run slow / get tired? This isn’t about your time. Actually, it’s UN-timed. And it’s definitely not about finishing first. It’s just about doing it! You can skip an obstacle and no one will look at you funny. More likely, the people around you will offer you a hand to help you complete it.
- What would I wear? Funny outfits, unique items make you stand out from the mud. OLD sneakers, OLD clothes. Definitely dri-fit! And take it from experience – duct tape your sneakers to your feet. The LAST thing you want is to lose a sneaker in the mud pit!
- What else would I bring? Bring plenty of garbage bags, towels, change of clothes and shoes. And bring some friends and fans to cheer you on at the finish line and party afterwards with
- What if I want MORE of a challenge? You’re crazy, but you can sign up for a timed 5 mile elite run with more difficult obstacles.
- Are kids allowed? Yup – there’s a couple fleets of kids runs.
- Ok I’m in. How do I register? Head over to http://www.bardenmudfest.org/!
This is my second year running it and I hope to see an amazing turnout, either stuck in the mud beside me or at the after party with a Saranac in your hand! Tweet me for Mudfest experience questions – @ratiekeilly